Know More About Jerdone Castle, Louisa County, VA
Located in Bumpass, Louisa County, Virginia, Jerdone Castle is a plantation that reflects its rich history being the first mercantile business in Louisa County and one of the most successful in colonial Virginia. It is a historic castle near Lake Anna, one of the most prominent homes the Bumpass family has ever owned. Francis Jerdone, who moved to Louisa County from Scotland in 1740, built the first part of Jerdone Castle around 1745. Many of the plantation’s original 1,100 acres of land are now under Lake Anna. The original home was constructed in the rural wood-frame vernacular style typical of central Virginia in the 18th century. In 1858, the addition was decorated in the Italianate design popularized by builders’ guides in the middle of the 19th century. The residence comprises two main pavilions, a smaller one-and-a-half-story structure, and an enormous two-story edifice. Today it is on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places and is a Virginia Historic Landmark.
Jerdone Castle was initially owned by Francis Jerdone, a Scottish tradesman who immigrated to Virginia and owned plantations. In 1742, the rising western settlements in Virginia prompted the Royal Government in Williamsburg to divide Louisa County from west Hanover County. Attracted by the opportunities, Jerdone purchased 1,100 acres in Louisa County’s South Anna River valley between Moody Creek and Rock Creek in 1742 and built the property. Jerdone also built a house and added to the land he already owned. He also ran stores, mills, and a forge. He served most North Anna farmers and planters. Plantation owners provided him with tobacco shipments for their crops, and he satisfied their orders for British exports. When Francis Jerdone passed away in 1771, his son most likely inherited his assets and business. The Jerdone family greatly influenced the area, as Francis and Sarah’s sons owned property in Orange and Spotsylvania counties. Frank T. Glasgow of Richmond, the father of author Ellen Glasgow, bought the estate in 1879. At the end of the 20th century, Jerdone Castle was fixed up after being left alone for many years. Currently, The Beardworth family is the one who owns Jerdone Castle.
Visiting Jerdone Castle
Currently, Jerdone Castle has been designated as a Virginia Historic Landmark, and two wayside markers have been placed to commemorate its importance in the state’s history. Anyone who wants to know the property’s past can visit the place. Jerdon Castle tours the visitors about its history through the photos and information established in the United States National Register of Historical Places. The tour of Jerdone Castle will provide information such as George Washington lodged at the plantation house during his 1791 trip to the South, and novelist Ellen Glasgow discussed in her autobiography spending summers at Jerdone Castle as a youngster and how it influenced her writing. Upon entering the property, one will notice an Italianate bracketed cornice and cupola highlighting the building’s ample dimensions. Documents relating to the Jerdone family can be found in the Special Collections Research Center on the College of William and Mary campus. These records cover various topics, such as daily life at Jerdone Castle and its upkeep.
For more information about Jerdone Castle, please do not hesitate to call or message our team. If you are interested in buying historical homes for sale in Virginia, you can browse our page at https://historichomesinvirginia.com/virginia-historic-homes/louisa-and-fluvanna/.